1. Mary Brewer is available as an Adoption Guardian at Litem. If you would like her contact information, please let me know or contact the court administrator.
2. Our local Northwest Justice Project office has a staff attorney position open. I am confident Steve Robins would be happy to answer any questions you may have about the position or provide contact information for interested applicants.
3. Commissioner Basden asked that the following information be forwarded:
I have looked carefully at the statues regarding pre and post placement reports in adoptions. For clarification, when a pre placement report is required, proof of the necessary background checks (i.e. fingerprint check with the FBI) will need to be filed with the Court.
Second, even in situations where a step parent is adopting the child, a post placement report needs to be filed. These should be fairly strait-forward, particularly when the parent and step parent have been married for quite a while. However, I think that the statute requires the report regardless of the length of the relationship.
If anyone has general questions, please contact me for clarification.
Commissioner Brent Basden
4. Rick Peterson was the trial attorney who made the correct and timely objection resulting in the Court of Appeals II reversing and dismissing in State v Toth, 9/29/09. (appellate counsel Backlund & Mistry)
5. We will hold elections for both the 2010 bar president and 2011 president elect at the Christmas Party. Mark your calendars now to save the date! December 18, 2009, at the Bushwacker. There will not be a noon bar lunch on that date.
Lastly – sign up for Clallam Legal as soon as possible – you don’t want to miss this great line-up. If you know anyone who hasn’t received notice or a flyer, let me know so we can be sure everyone has the opportunity to take advantage of this great, local, cheap program with 6 CLE credits approved, 2 of which are ethics!
Carol Mortensen, Outgoing President 2009