Peacekeepers, the Port Angeles High School peer mediation program, is looking for adult volunteers and student mediators.
Attorneys, mediators and other adults interest in mediation, are needed to serve as supervisory committee members, and/or trainers. Peacekeepers is a PAHS program, but is maintained by school staff/administration and non-school community members. The primary functions for the adults is not to conduct or assist with mediations, but to:
- train student mediators, for the annual fall training and ongoing trainings throughout the year
- assist with debriefing/training for student mediators as needed
- ensure student recruitment occurs every year
- ensure a program coordinator is selected and trained every year
- assist with raising funds (if and when needed)
- be responsible for maintaining and reviewing student mediation contracts
- act as a liaison with the school district
- develop and maintain program policies
- perform any other functions as necessary to ensure the continuing health of the program.
An initial 2-day training for the program will be held on Thursday and Friday, February 5th and 6th, 2010. Interested adults and students should contact Mark Baumann or Taylor Schraudner at the numbers below.
The February training will be conducted by CRU Institute, a Bellevue company specializing in setting up high school peer mediation programs and curriculum.
Peacekeepers is a joint community effort supported by the Port Angeles High School, Angeles Mediation, Vista, the North Olympic Volunteer Center and the North Olympic Youth Corps. Funding for the cost of training was provided by a generous grant from the Port Angeles Education Foundation, Angeles Mediation, and the Kiwanis of Port Angeles.
Taylor Schraudner, PAHS Vista Volunteer, will serve as the volunteer program coordinator for the 2009-2010 school year.
Taylor Schraudner, Vista, 360-504-1201
Mark Baumann, Angeles Mediation, 360-452-8688